Friday, April 07, 2006

JYO-ORH via JFKrazy

Leesburg, VA to Worcester (that's "wistah" for those of you who grew up south of the Mason-Dixon line) in 2.5 hours. Wheels left runway 35 at 1820, landed ORH runway 29 at 2055. Here is the flight track.



It was a fun flight. I called up clearance delivery at JYO and heard the magic words - "Cleared as filed..." Woohoo!

STILL WOOLY BAL V268 ENO V16 JFK V229 WITNY

Turning east out of JYO to WOOLY, ground speed was over 160 knots, and over BAL and down v268 speeds topped out at 171. Making the turn over BROSS, and heading north, speeds quickly slowed to 145, and continued a southbound trajectory toward 130 for most of the second half of the trip.

McGuire descended me down to 5000 passing CYN, only to have NY turn me 40 left and climb back to 7000 15 miles from JFK. The controller in the south departure sector off Kennedy was non-stop instructions, until the Saudi heavy jet started a two minute (that's not an exaggeration) rant about flight plans - on the wrong frequency. I would have to guess dispatch was on the other end. Oops. The NY controller gave him an earful, demonstrating how a similar dressing down can be done in only 12 seconds. ;)

After the vectored climb, it was direct Kennedy again. Then soon after passing over top the field, I was given 090 for 10 miles, then 30 left to join the airway soon after. The next controller cleared me direct Hartford after I checked in with a request for BDR, as I headed out over Long Island sound. That soon became direct ORH for the visual 29.

No comments: